Chicken Fried Elk Steaks with Brown Gravy

This elk steak came from our good friends Nick and Lindsay Tramp of northeastern Nebraska. I believe Nick shot this elk in Wyoming, and they were so kind to share some with us. After tasting it-- and it was a our first time-- Rick and I began pining to go on an elk hunt. The meat was so delicious. And it's amazing how big these animals are. Think of all that meat! One day ... 

If I had to give up beef for elk, I would be perfectly happy. It's such a well-balanced, flavorful meat. I find it richer than venison. I thought the fat also tasted good.

So if you have some elk steaks in the freezer, here's another recipe for you. We wrote it for Game and Fish Magazine here with step-by-step photos: http://www.gameandfishmag.com/recipes/chicken-fried-elk-steaks-with-brown-gravy/

Comments